An introduction to the study and practice of Jewish spiritual ethics.
Mussar is a centuries old Jewish body of teachings, a perspective, and a disciplined practice that provides distinctively Jewish answers to the sorts of questions any thinking person asks about life:
- Why do I keep making the same mistakes over and over?
- Why do I cause pain to myself and others?
- What steps can I take to bring my life closer to my spiritual potential?
- Are there lessons I can learn from the experiences of previous generations?
Mussar provides guidance in identifying your uniquely personal path of spiritual growth and offers practices to help bring about that growth.
A Taste of Mussar is an introductory four-week course developed by Dr. Alan Morinis with the assistance of Dr. Shirah Bell to give you the opportunity to experience the tradition of learning and practicing Mussar that has engaged and helped people for centuries.
There are no prerequisites for this program, and no language other than English is required.
We will work on four themes that introduce the treasure-house of Mussar:
- Mussar as a guidance system for the soul on its journey in this life, including the anatomy of the soul, your personal soul curriculum, and how to use that curriculum as the basis for personal growth
- Humility: the foundation of all spiritual development
- Trust: honoring the twin masters of effort and letting go
- Discovering your unique spiritual curriculum
You will receive three emails each week, each of which will include three core elements to guide your learning and practice:
- A short reading drawing on the teachings of Mussar Masters such as Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto, Rabbi Bahya ibn Pakuda, and Rabbi Yisrael Salanter.
- Mussar practice guided by Alan Morinis or Shirah Bell (usually in audio format).
- Reflection questions to deepen the learning and provide guidance in applying the concepts to everyday life.
Start Date: This course is self-paced and can begin at any time.
Duration: 4 weeks.
Fee: $36 US (for US and international residents) or $36 Canadian (for Canadian residents) per individual payable upon registration. Regrettably, there are no discounts or scholarships available.
Group option: A Taste of Mussar can also be offered and taken as a group course. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you would like to facilitate this course in your community. Be sure to notify us each time you plan to offer the course to a group. A facilitator’s manual is available for each group facilitator.
Refund policy: For withdrawal prior to the first lesson: 100% refund. For withdrawal after the first lesson has been sent out: no refund. Anyone who withdraws and re-enrolls at a future time will be required to pay the full fee at the time of re-enrollment.