An introduction to the study and practice of Jewish spiritual ethics.
Mussar is a centuries old Jewish body of teachings, a perspective, and a disciplined practice that provides distinctively Jewish answers to the sorts of questions any thinking person asks about life:
- Why do I keep making the same mistakes over and over?
- Why do I cause pain to myself and others?
- What steps can I take to bring my life closer to my spiritual potential?
- Are there lessons I can learn from the experiences of previous generations?
Mussar provides guidance in identifying your uniquely personal path of spiritual growth and offers practices to help bring about that growth.
A Taste of Mussar is an introductory four-week course developed by Dr. Alan Morinis with the assistance of Dr. Shirah Bell to give you the opportunity to experience the tradition of learning and practicing Mussar that has engaged and helped people for centuries.
There are no prerequisites for this program, and no language other than English is required.
We will work on four themes that introduce the treasure-house of Mussar:
- Mussar as a guidance system for the soul on its journey in this life, including the anatomy of the soul, your personal soul curriculum, and how to use that curriculum as the basis for personal growth
- Humility: the foundation of all spiritual development
- Trust: honoring the twin masters of effort and letting go
- Discovering your unique spiritual curriculum
This course can be accomplished individually or as part of an online group, in real time. In either case, you will receive one email per week for 4 weeks.
- A short reading drawing on the teachings of Mussar Masters.
- Mussar practice guided by Alan Morinis or other teachers (usually in audio format).
- Reflection questions to deepen the learning and provide guidance in applying the concepts to everyday life.
Self-paced for individuals: the course can begin at any time.
Online Group (Video Conference): the course will be led by a trained facilitator and when you click the registration page below, you will select the date and time options you prefer.
Duration: 4 weeks.
Fee: $36 US (for US and international residents) or $36 Canadian (for Canadian residents) per individual payable upon registration. Regrettably, there are no discounts or scholarships available.
Local group option: A Taste of Mussar can also be taken as a group course at your own location. Please contact us at email@example.com for information.
Refund policy: For withdrawal prior to the first lesson: 100% refund. For withdrawal after the first lesson has been sent out: no refund. Anyone who withdraws and re-enrolls at a future time will be required to pay the full fee at the time of re-enrollment.