"I love Path of the Soul! It is one of the best things I've done in the last 10 years. I feel as though I have been delivered to my Soul Family. I don't know how I would have made it through the pandemic without my Mussar curriculum."
- Liz Bernstein
Path of the Soul, an advanced-level Mussar course delivered in two parts, is designed for people who have completed at least one year of Mussar study.
How do you recognize and follow the path of your soul? Only by answering profound questions—not in theory, but in the flesh of your life—can you discover and follow the track that leads to your most elevated spiritual destiny.
Path of the Soul is a curriculum for wholeness, complete with assignments, learning, challenges, and tests. Each of us has his or her own curriculum, though not everyone is aware that his or her life-course is a curriculum, nor engages with it consciously. This advanced program of Jewish education and practice helps you recognize your own personal curriculum and provides you with the tools needed to follow that curriculum or grow toward wholeness. Along the way, you’ll uncover stages, levels, dynamics, and pitfalls on your path and use Mussar’s wisdom to guide a wise and successful traverse of this path. You’ll engage in several introductory teachings and then study:
Path of the Soul I Themes and Middot
- Man’s Duty in the World
Path of Soul II Themes and Middot
- Fear of Sin
An engaged participant in Path of the Soul will come away with
- A clear understanding of Mussar teachings that describe and light the path of the soul.
- New insight into their own personal spiritual curriculum.
- Tools and practices to help guide his or her soul’s journey.
- A new depth of spiritual maturity.
- Text: Path of the Just (Mesillas Yesharim) by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto.
- A peer support group (face-to-face or zoom.)
- Accounting of the soul (cheshbon ha’nefesh) with worksheets for a cheshbon ha’nefesh diary.
- Chevruta study partner with text and study materials.
- Va’ad of 6-8 people alternating weekly with chevruta sessions.
- Process reports mid-way and at the end of the program to complete with the help of your facilitator.
This course is appropriate for people with a minimum of one year of Mussar va’ad-based study. The study should include completion of Season of Mussar I and II, or Everyday Holiness, Chaburah, or Mussar in Action; Exceptions will be made for equivalent coursework. Chaverim membership is not required.
Path of the Soul is currently in session and will open again in the Fall. Ongoing va’adim heading into Path of the Soul II will be notified when it is time to register for Part II. For local courses, enrollment is open on an ongoing basis. The start dates will be set by your local facilitator. Path of the Soul is 29 sessions in two parts: one 16 sessions and one 13 sessions. People who take the first part may opt to continue for the second, but no one can start with the second part.
Chaverim: Part I: $180 Part II: $150
Non-Chaverim: Part I: $216 Part II: $180